Okay, I really have to write this. I have seen various articles about what is right and what is wrong but honestly, that’s the purpose of facebook. It is meant for people to share the details of every second of their life with the whole world and probably more. How much you choose to use it is up to you.
You cannot blame facebook makers or your friends for it. The only person to blame is you. I mean come on – Facebook caters to the needs of millions of users. They have to make it in such a way that it appeals to everyone from the person in North America to the tribes of New Zealand. You cannot blame your friends either – Because everyone has their own freedom of speech or in this case freedom of sharing their details.
As much as I would love to blame others for making our lives miserable, I still will stick to their side. For the record – I don’t spam people on facebook. But here are a few tips that can help you if you don’t like the unnecessary feeds that you receive from your friends.
1. If you don’t like facebook, don’t use it. It is that simple.
2. If you like to use it but are annoyed by your friends updates then add your friends wisely – unfriend unwanted friends and acquaintances and definitely strangers.
3. If you don’t want to unfriend, then group them in categories – This way their feeds will appear in a separate place.
4. If it still gets annoying then unsubscribe from their updates – most people don’t do it because there is some part of them that still wants to know what is happening in others life.
5. If your friend annoys by sending game request, block those games and all other apps that annoys you.
6. If you don’t like your friends tagging you – change your security settings.
Controlling others can be difficult especially with such a large customer base of facebook. You have those crazy teenage girls who keep changing their profile pictures everyday to those who post quotations every day. If you are one of those who spam and want to control then here are a few tips for you too.
1. Posting quotations – Trust me, this is a bummer. This adds no value to anyone. The moment a person scrolls to the next post, they forget the quote that they read before so why trouble others posting them.
2. Forwarding nonsense – Especially messages that do not have any authenticity. Like facebook is going to charge its users or gas prices in so and so place is high and hate posts against a political party or religion. Don’t be a carrier for wrong messages.
3. Posting baby pictures or any pictures – I adore babies but posting way too many pictures of them is really not a good idea. Also for those who post pictures of food – who wants to know what you are eating.
4. Checking in – Unless you want to tip off the robbers in your neighborhood, this is not a good idea. Although checking in occasionally is okay. I know people who check in like every half an hour??? It really doesn’t say anything about you. You can sit at home and check in at a Las Vegas casino – it is that easy so please don’t think that checking in makes you cool.
5. Posting encrypted status message – These are for attention seekers, they do it because they want people to come back and ask them what it really means. This is a very old and boring trick – try something new.
6. Posts like “Share this if you have a brother” or “Like this if you love your mother” – Really??? Your mom might not even have a facebook account. If you love your mother, just call her and tell her that or even better surprise her by visiting her and give her a hug. That’s what mom’s want.
Another thing which does not fall into either category is getting caught by spammers. Although I haven’t seen a lot of it lately, probably because I reduced using facebook and have filtered almost everything out but common on guys, be practical – No one gives things for free (Like the virus about free facebook T-Shirts). And no one posts sensitive videos on facebook (Like the virus about Osama bin laden’s last moments). So please stop clicking on such links that looks too good to be true. If you have accidentally clicked them, then please do a favor and post a message to everyone that it is a scam, so your friends don’t fall in the same trap.
Lastly, this is the most important tip – Either don’t use facebook or ignore it. Sometimes it can be stress relieving to just go through the status updates. So either way just enjoy being part of facebook and I am sure no matter how much you hate it, you still got to thank Facebook makers for helping you find old forgotten friends back in your lives and stay in touch with everyone around the world.